Monday, March 16, 2009

3rd in Kona, or is it a 4th?








Wow, what an amazing week!!!! Getting from Vancouver Island to the BIG Island in Hawaii is a fun trip. The BC Ferry was running late, but still made it to Vancouver Airport with time to spare and one last Double Double at Tim Hortons :)


Of course getting off the airplane in Kona is exciting and breathing the nice warm humid air brings life to your body. Monday was spent touring around a bit and getting in a swim at the Kona Aquatic Center outdoor pool. I do not prefer swimming, but once I was done I could not wait for the next day to get back and swim. Making it even better was showing up and seeing local Pro Bree Wee in the next lane. Wow, yes Bree, you are an amazing swimmer, moving through the water so fast I could not even see you go by.


I was actually lucky enough to also see http://breeweehawaii.blogspot.com/ at Bike Works and informed me of a local 10K run race put on by Kona Brewery and others. Also a 12 mile bike time trial both were on the weekend.


During the week I was able to get a few short rides in and also a 64km ride out on the Queen K to experience the heat and wind the select few get to experience in the World Championship. I am sure they see more heat and wind than I did, but I may never know??




Saturday morning came early at 5:30 to get up for the 10km race. I am not used to running races starting that early, but it was worth getting up early. They put on a great race, great volunteers and friendly people. I even met a couple from Comox!! After the race I got a finish card with results, I am not used to that. It said I had 3rd place in my age, I was pretty happy :) Once I got back to the condo and looked online, I saw one other my age group faster, but he was 2nd overall, so must have removed him from the age group results. That actually makes me 4th , I am still happy:) Instead of partaking in the free beer I ran home 4 miles, what dedication!!!


Sunday was also a 5:30am get up. This time, out to Waikaloa for the bike time trial(12 miles=19km?). My first ever attempt, so guess what, I got to go first. (they let the slow ones go first!!) I held on to the lead (meaning no on passed me) for about 8 miles before I was passed by guys that had left 3 and 7 minutes behind me!!! They must have been flying!!! I think I finished 15th? For a time trial virgin I liked the first time and may have to try it again. The ride back to the condo was about 23km, so I had a nice 52km ride that day.


Today, Monday was spend with mom and dad travelling to the Volcano, something to see for sure. A good day to rest the legs as I can feel they are sore, and want to get out on the Queen K after a swim tomorrow morning.


1 comment:

  1. oh I am so glad you saw the volcano! Totally worth it, no Kona trip is complete without it! Happy you are having a good time here... and WELL done in the 10k and bike race! Great to see ya Gammie!

    ReplyDelete