Friday, February 27, 2009

OK, Enough Snow!!







Wednesday was the day I was going to do my first brick of the year before Lavaman which is just over a month away. Shortly after I got up, the snow started falling and I was getting concerned that I would not be able to get my outdoor run on dry pavement.


My day at work took me into areas that had about 9 inches of the white fluffy stuff. Nothing to be concerned about unless you are wanting to run on dry pavement after your day at work. Spinning on the bike is fine as it is still set up in a nice warm spot in the house. My home is near sea level so I am thinking the snow will not be falling there but likely change to rain as the day goes on,,,, I hope!!! That will wash the snow away. On the way back from work, I come across a car that has slid off the road because of the road conditions and after some work we got him back on the road so he could get home also.
I was glad when I was on my home I could notice much less snow. I knew I would be able to get my brick workout done. The roads near home were bare and actually had some dry spots, no worries about ice!! I spun on my bike for one hour and was so hot and sweaty I didn't think I would need to dress warm for the run as my body heat would keep me feeling good. Was I surprised!! After only 100 meters my forehead was frozen. I thought of turning back and getting a toque, nah, I am only going 2km I can manage. The temperature was below freezing, and I wondered if the salt in the sweat would prevent the ice crystals from forming? About the 1km mark I noticed someone esle out running, toque, gloves,,, hmm,, can I borrow them? Speed up and get home, get it over. That worked, my fastest 2 km brick yet,,, a PB becauase of the cold.
I am so, looking forward to Hawaii, I am concerned there ,it will be too hot for me to train, let alone race. It is going to be fun finding out. Ten more days and I will have my bike out of the box with air in the tires and ready to go. So long snow!!!







2 comments:

  1. That is so BEAUTIFUL! Break out the swim trunks, your weather is perfect Rick!! ha ha...

    ALMOST Hawaii time... I can hardly wait for you to run in the sun! SOOOOOOOO excited for you!

    Your bike looks good and ready too (previous post). Ha ha, yeah, thanks for checkin' in on me too... you're a GREAT friend. See ya soon. OH, I used the Canada H2O bottle you gave me today for my LONG ride...GREAT motivation as some redemption!!

    See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Up date this blog already!!
    You are on the BIG ISLAND... put a sunny foto, and NICE run Rick and I saw the results that you pulled off a TT the following day, way to go! Lavaman here you come!

    ReplyDelete