Thursday, March 19, 2009

Life is a Highway










Tuesday morning was spent at the Kona Aquatic Center for a swim. Well, not the whole morning but an hour. That was enough. I had planned on riding out on the Queen K Highway to where the start of the Lavaman Triathlon is, but the weather was not good and was rainy. It was warm though:) By the time I finally got things ready it was starting to get lighter out and the rain was now a drizzle. Good enough for me as I know friends back home on Vancouver Island were not just battling rain, but cold and wind.

No toque under the helmet required in Kona and no booties or gloves. The drizzle was enough to keep me cool as the first 5km I rode were up hill. Then a nice downhill section into town and through the stoplights past Palani Rd. After that there are less lights and fairly level with a nice wide shoulder. Wide enough to share the shoulder but I did not see one bike out that day. At the airport I saw one plane coming in for a landing, probably full with eager tourists like me.

A few km past the airport is where the bike time trial ended on the weekend. This time I got to ride it in reverse so started with a nice downhill, knowing I would be coming back up it later at a slower speed than I did the time trial in. Out at Waikaloa, I checked my water supply and was sure I had enough to get back to the condo so had another Power Gel for the road. I had 52 km on my computer so knew I would have over 100km by the time I was done. The weather stayed about the same and the wind was calm, which made me glad as I did not want to battle it again.


Wednesday morning I was at the pool again before a run. I was hoping to run for 90 minutes, but is was so hot (28C at 6pm) I was not sure how far I would get. I put on some sunscreen, had a salt tab and filled up 3 Fuel Belt bottles, 24oz total. I ran north on Ali'i Drive into town for 30 minutes and turned around. I was back at the condo in 60 minutes, wondering if I should stop. I was trying to time my pace with the mile markers but had a hard time finding enough of them. Finally I thought I was just under 9 minute mile. Even a gel could not speed me up. I went past snorkel beach and knew that there was a hill ahead if I went to the stoplight. I thought I ran up it, but others watching probably figured I was going to fall over. I reached the top of the hill and was happy to feel a bit of breeze when I turned around and headed down the short hill. I do not like downhill running, but sure did at that point. I made it back to the condo and then did a cool down (is that possible in this heat) for 5 minutes to give me a 90 minute run. Phew, I did it, it was maybe the hardest 90 minute run I have done. I still feel it today!!!


BUT!!! Being in Kona you do not want to miss out, so it is off to the Pier for an ocean swim this morning.

In 2 months I will dread the wetsuit and neoprene cap for the chilly Morton Lake swims, wishing I was back here in Kona !!!




1 comment:

  1. ha ha! You must be enjoying the heat coming from Canada! Yep, its a hot one... Kainoa & I were so happy to see ya at Jamba Juice, what a hangout in Kona huh!!?? Fun times... I think I saw you and your parents today on my run, were you walking down Alii with them holding white bags? If so, I saw you and yelled, if not some stranger must think I am nuts (other than running in mid heat).
    See ya Sat. on the group ride and stoked you are enjoying it here, now if only the surf would get big!!
    GO GAMMIE!

    ReplyDelete