Sunday, March 22, 2009

Two Great Places To Swim





One of my tough decisions that I have to make is where to swim. The Kona Aquatic Center is the nicest pool I have been in. Then there is the Kona Pier, the start of the World Championship for Ironman. Most of my swims so far have been at the pool, then last Thursday seems as the pool was closed I thought I should get in the ocean. The water was so nice and warm (compared to the Pacific in BC) and the sea life was incredible. No need for a snorkel, while you are getting in your workout you can enjoy the abundance of sea creatures. Don't forget to breath though!!! Friday found me back at the Pier, and as I was at a buoy to turn around and go back, I chat to a few ladies, it turns out it is Karlyn Pipes-Neilsen. Wow, pro athletes at the pool and World Record Holders swimming at the Pier, Kona, what a place!!! Our tri club coach back home said to say hello to Karlyn if I happened to see her, what a coincidence. She was nice enough to explain the markers and her mother "chaperoned" me out to the next bouy and back to shore. What nice people you can meet here in Kona :)
Saturday was a group ride where I found out how fast the riders in Kona are. And they are fast!! Female pro Bree Wee in attendance as well as a male pro, and just a bunch of other fast people. Grant from Bike Works organized the ride and also helped out at the previous week Time Trial. Now I know I am going to have to ride my heart out in Lavaman to barely keep up. That is after I drag my butt out of the water and try to find my GURU with 800 other bikes. Well, the group ride was an eye opener.
Today I was back to the Pier and swam out to the 3/4 mile turn around. More things to distract me while I was trying to breath. I saw some different fish I had not seen previously. Ok, I need to concentrate on my stroke. Phew, Karlyn is going to help me out on Tuesday :)
Out of the water and a visit with friends Brian and Barb from Campbell River, then off to the market for fruit,,, yummy papayas and mangos, a finger of bananas and a few avacados. Awesome.
The afternoon was a short bike ride and I happened to come across Coach Dan from Lifesport as there were some goats up on a lava bluff. I dont know how I am ever going to get a taper for Lavaman with so much to see and enjoy. Luckily tomorrow is off to Hilo with my parents and will be a day off excercise in Kona.
I am going to miss it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment